Monday, May 21, 2012

It's been a while... Update!

Craziness

I've probably got to be one of the most boring bloggers to follow, lol.  Things have been busy around here!  The twins had their tongue and lip ties lasered at about 11 months.  It's HUGE deal.  I didn't realize how much their eating and EVERYTHING was affected by those ties.  I'm so glad we got it done (even though it was EXTREMELY expensive).  Tongues are supposed to be able to come out past the lower teeth/gums (theirs couldn't), and with lip ties like they had, food got stuck between their upper lip and gums, making it extremely inflamed and painful, especially since their tongues couldn't reach up there to get the food out.  Things are so much better now!



Then they had their birthday.  Dragon bread cakes dusted with colored sugar was a big hit with everyone!





This was totally a Pinterest find and creation, and even though I really didn't like how they ended up looking, they sure tasted great!





I used the recipe linked in the blog tutorial (http://showtellshare.blogspot.com/2011/10/archangels-dragons-and-swords.html), used chocolate chips for the eyes (which didn't work so well), and colored sugar (http://thefrazzledmama.com/?page_id=815).  What would I do without the internet, seriously?

Kent got the purple dragon.

Erik got the green dragon.

And things are just crazy with 3 kids ages 3 and under in the house.  I love it!  So there's the crazy of it all.

Craftiness

I tested another hat for Kandice at Sweet Kiwi Crochet.  It's not exactly my favorite animal, but it still turned out cute.







So, as you can see, it's MUCH easier to get a photo of the hat on the table or a doll.  My boys will NOT leave hats on their heads!




I also made a hat for Christopher for his birthday (and ended up not finishing it until Easter, oh well.  At least he got it, and it was a surprise!  We really like dragons around here, and he LOVES Hot Tamales, so what would be a better gift than a fire breathing dragon?


Paint to the rescue... I couldn't get the pictures to go next to each other (how stupid is that?) so I "painted" them into the same file.  Isn't he a great self-photographer?  I was really excited about how much he liked the gift.  I have no idea where he's gonna use it, but it's sure fun!


The patterns for these hats, and TONS of cute other ones, is available at http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetkiwicrochet.

I'm also participating in a Crochet-a-Long that Kandice at Sweet Kiwi Crochet is sponsoring (http://sweetkiwicrochet.com/crochet-along/ or http://www.ravelry.com/groups/sweet-kiwi-crochet-cal-1).  This one is a bit different than most CAL/KALs I've heard of, because we're all making our own granny square afghan, but everyone got to choose their own template (or design their own) with the intent being that most would be about the same size.  I decided to make a blanket for my daughter's 4th birthday (in July).  I figured, granny squares crochet up quick, how hard could it be to get done in time?  Apparently VERY hard when you have 3 young kids.  I ended up modifying my pattern already, to make it smaller (it was huge originally, 70"x70") and more doable.



See the size difference?  I'm still concerned about finishing by her birthday though.  Here's hoping (and crocheting like crazy in every spare minute).  The blue squares throughout the pattern are actually 3D flower squares (not quite granny squares), and they are really what is kicking my butt time-wise.  I found the pattern  on this blog (via Pinterest again):  http://alittleloopybutimhooked.blogspot.com/2012/04/cute-little-flower-square.html.  While I can do 4-5 regular 2" granny squares in about an hour, it takes me at least half an hour to do ONE flower.  But they do look cute!



And, my current progress... we're supposed to have at least 6 rows entirely finished by now, to be "on track" with the group (and I'm supposed to be further than that to finish in time for her birthday).  I guess it would have helped if I'd stuck to the pattern and just done what came next, instead of getting bored and doing squares for the center. :)


My basket of unattached squares... I realized if I didn't want them to get lost, I'd better start putting them together.


How people manage to keep their "outside" rows straight to take their "WIP" pictures, I'll never know.  I certainly can't "press" them with books long enough here to get it to stay... my kids mess it up too quickly!


Crankiness

Sariah was cutting some paper, within view, mind you, and suddenly she said, "Mom, look!  I decorated my pajamas for the party!"




She was absolutely banned from scissors for two weeks.  Then, exactly two weeks later, she was cutting some paper again (once again within sight) when I needed to run get the boys from upstairs after their nap.  I came back down to see that she had taken the scissors to my yarn basket, where I had ALL the yarn I was using for her blanket (and she knows the blanket is for her).  It's also almost my entire stash of yarn, since my goal in the CAL is to not buy any yarn, and just use what I already have.  This is just part of what I found (poor picture, sorry).


All I could do was cry.  Layer upon layer from the outside of every skein has been sliced, sometimes in multiple places.  Since I really can't afford to replace it, I'm just tying the ends together as I go, and I won't be able to use this yarn for projects that frequent splices will show in.  For her blanket, I'm not worrying about how the splices look... she did it, she can live with it.  She's also banned from using any type of scissors at all until she earns at least 1,000 gold coins in Chore Wars (http://www.chorewars.com), to "replace" what she destroyed.  She's not allowed to watch any movies until she has done at least one chore already that day either.  It's going to take a LONG time for her to get there, since the gold awarded for most chores is between 1 and 20 coins, and she's rebelling against any type of "work" unless one of us is there constantly supervising her.

So there you go... Crazy, Crafty, Cranky... we've got it all at this house!

No comments:

Post a Comment